Monday, November 16, 2009


"Babaji in Adelaide with Yellow Roses"

by Mark Sullivan

"Babaji in Adelaide with Yellow Roses" was the first painting I did with a very "short palette", only using white, yellow and raw umber. More emphasis on the drawing aspects of the painting was a result of limiting the colors to just three. While Sondra taught on relationships in the front, I painted in the background, this time, and the energy in the room was high enough for Babaji to come through in this new work, wearing a turtleneck sweater!! Imagine that.

I would like to thank Angelo and Julia for providing the art materials, and also Karen Scott for purchasing the work at the end of the weekend for a generous amount. I am always surprised that Babaji has a person in mind already for his "darshan", and I do not need to worry where the painting will go after it is done. He always has a clear direction for the work that becomes evident to me while I am painting, and the person who is to have it comes forward.

Sondra was particularly fond of this one. She said it was the first time she had seen Babaji with Yellow Roses!! I was happy as well, to watch the work unfold. John Stamoulos was very taken by the color, and said it reminded him of the "Australian color of wheat" that is so prevalent in the local landscape. Babaji has a way of coming through the work in the energy of the local city and country. The "aboriginal" nature of this Baabji in Adelaide is strongly suggested. He has intensity with the softness of acceptance.

I am always amazed that each portrait is so different from the one before....and each takes on the vibration of the local community. I am so happy to be in service as Babaji's "court painter", on the road in places around the world, helping to make Babaji's presence universally known. I am grateful to all of the organizers of the workshops, and all the assistants, for helping me do this work that I find so satisfying. In particular, thank you to all who helped make the Adelaide workshops a success, and allow the space for "Babaji in Adelaide with Yellow Roses" to come through.


Bole Baba Ki Jai !!!
Love,

MARK & SONDRA

No comments:

Post a Comment